Job Title: City Winery Chicago RiverWalk Kitchen Manager
Reports to: Executive Chef & River Walk General Manager
Job Class: Exempt
Lead an effective and well-prepared kitchen into and throughout service. Ensure the preparation, execution, and presentation of food recipes meet the standards of the Executive Chef and our brand. Drive staff to participate in and achieve our end goal of serving guests in a hospitable, creative & consistent manner. Maintain a safe, orderly and sanitary kitchen through a set of standards that meet the requirements of local governing institutions and house procedures. Keep up with industry practitioners and participate in menu development with the common goal of creating a menu of “Wine Inspired, Globally Influenced and Locally Sourced” cuisine.
· Create a daily production list for all positions prior to their arrival and hold them responsible for the completion of those lists
· Ensure all stations are fully stocked before, during and after a shift, setting up the next shift for success
· Check work stations periodically throughout a shift to makes sure staff is complaint with health and safety protocols
· Verify kitchen staff follows all recipes and practices portion control standards set by the chef
· Maintain Kitchen/Reach-in/Dry Storage organization & cleanliness. Ensure that staff maintain a philosophy of cleaning-as-you-go and maintain organization at all times.
· Place food and supply orders in a timely manner; communicate any shortages to supervisor when applicable
· Practice proper receiving protocols to ensure product freshness, quality, quantity and price; make sure product invoices are received by office management
· Assist in the hiring, training and discipline of all kitchen personnel
· Assist in the creation and maintenance of kitchen employee files: ensure new hire paperwork is complete with office management prior to start-date, document any disciplinary action and keep in employee’s file, etc.
· Participate in management dialogue through meetings and emails; assume full leadership duties for the department in the absence of the Chef
· Manage staffing & scheduling pars throughout a shift based on volume of business; control labor with an awareness of overtime
· Control food costs by monitoring portion control, pilferage and waste through effective ordering practices and physical counts
· Ensuring the hand off between the day & night shift is a smooth transition. i.e. all prep needed for that day’s service is completed.